Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/bbcode.php on line 483

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/bbcode.php on line 379

Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/arcade/functions_arcade.php on line 626

Strict Standards: Only variables should be passed by reference in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/arcade/functions_arcade.php on line 626

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /www/htdocs/w00a32a7/Forumz/includes/bbcode.php on line 112
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3830: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3832: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3833: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3834: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/bbcode.php:483)
Docet Umbra • View topic - What was your reaction to the Cataclysm cinematic?
It is currently Oct 20th, '17, 23:26

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: What was your reaction to the Cataclysm cinematic?
PostPosted: Oct 19th, '10, 00:48 
Site Admin

Highscores: 3

Post subject: Re: What was your reaction to the Cataclysm cinematic?
PostPosted: Oct 19th, '10, 07:45 
7th Legion Elite

I watched the first few seconds to confirm it was really the cinematic; then I yelled it over Teamspeak and logged onto WoW to yell it in guild-chat.

Then I watched it.
Then I watched it again.
Then I watched it again.
Then I watched it again.
Then I watched it again while trembling at seeing all that destruction.
Then I watched it again while contemplating that we actually have to face the dragon that causes tidal waves with a wing-flap, butts his head against the world and half the Barrens collapse, roars once and it's like a shock-wave from an explosion, LEAVES THE SKY AFLAME WHEN HE FLIES OVER!
Then I watched it again.
Then I watched it again.

It left me spent, the last couple of times I was really just shivering at the awesomeness I was seeing. I went to bed very happy that night.
Then when I woke up, I watched it again.

Crusader Twilight Vanquisher Patron Brewmaster Flame Warden Loremaster Elder Starcaller Chef Ambassador Bloodsail Admiral Merrymaker Brory the Insane Jenkins the Seeker, the Explorer, the Diplomat, the Exalted, the Hallowed, the Noble, the Pilgrim, the Patient, the Love Fool, the Argent Champion, the Kingslayer, Guardian of Cenarius, of the Nightfall, of the Exodar, of Gnomeregan, of Ironforge, of Stormwind, of Darnassus, of the Ashen Verdict, of the Shattered Sun, the Undy----titleoverfl

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '10, 13:48 
The Voice of Illidan

Amsterdam has Red Light District to cater to your needs, Broxi :D

as for the video - not too impressed by the storyline in it, very nice technically though.

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '10, 21:33 
Site Admin

Highscores: 3
I'll have to agree. It looks amazing -- but that was to be expected. I don't like the story aspect either ... because there is none. Too much getting dressed, the few zones they're showing seem to be picked completely random (except for Stormwind) and -- oh right, that's it. No Goblins, no worgen, no mention of at least one of all the political conflicts. Pretty disappointing considering how rich the lore is for Cataclysm. Deathwing still makes for an awesome arch-enemy though.

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 14:49 
Assistant Innkeeper

Technically I guess blizz made their point with the political upheaval and woblin storylines at the preview at blizzcon 2009, so they've left that as the background for that, meanwhile the new cinematic is much like the cinematic which went "look at the draenei, look at the belfs, look at everyone fighting, OH NOES! ITS ILLIDAN! YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!".

It would have been nice if there was more to the opening cinematic than deahwing thrashing about and then flying to stormwind, but i'm not disappointed by it either. Its pretty much what i've come to expect :)

PostPosted: Oct 20th, '10, 23:09 
Guild Master

The movie itself is great, much better than the opener for Lich King imo. I also missed the horde/alliance stuff not being brought up here, but as far as i am concerned, i like to have the last boss presented properly, rather than seeing some more races/classes at "work". What really pisses me off, tho, is that you can see the actual intro movie months before the release. Call me old-fashioned, but i loved to install a game and then see the intro movie there for the first time, not months ahead. Same with SC2, 12 years waiting, then they show an awesome movie with the "hell, it's about time"-tagline and then they include that as opener for the game with some totally not fitting voice over added to the formerly shown clip. /sigh

PostPosted: Oct 21st, '10, 00:40 
7th Legion Elite

WoW has become a beast of it's own I guess. If you keep up-to-date with current wow-news (eg. read any site about WoW), you will see the cinematic as soon as somebody found it and it's very hard to try and save that piece of juicy cinematic for the moment when you are done installing. I saved the LK-kill cinematic for when we actually killed him and I don't think it made it any more or less awesome.

Personally I never really was into the cinematicification of normal characters, in the TBC cinematic the Illidan voice and his appearance in the end was the coolest part of it. Seeing familiar spells being used by beautifully rendered versions of ourselves is nice, but it's not awesome and I doubt it will ever be.

Btw. I agree on the SC2 part, that was just bad, they raped that movie.

As for storytelling, I think they chose the cinematic to tell the story they couldn't ingame. From what I've heard the story of the goblins and worgens is told pretty well in the starting areas (don't forget the goblins even have a in-game rendered cinematic of their own). And all the political strife will probably come out in a lot of the new quests that are coming. So instead of showing any of that they told you why the statue in Stormwind is knocked over, they told you why the Thousand Needles is now the Thousand Isles, they told you why Auberdine got wrecked etc.

Crusader Twilight Vanquisher Patron Brewmaster Flame Warden Loremaster Elder Starcaller Chef Ambassador Bloodsail Admiral Merrymaker Brory the Insane Jenkins the Seeker, the Explorer, the Diplomat, the Exalted, the Hallowed, the Noble, the Pilgrim, the Patient, the Love Fool, the Argent Champion, the Kingslayer, Guardian of Cenarius, of the Nightfall, of the Exodar, of Gnomeregan, of Ironforge, of Stormwind, of Darnassus, of the Ashen Verdict, of the Shattered Sun, the Undy----titleoverfl